On Thu, 18 Feb 2021 17:55:55 -0800
Russell Senior <russ...@personaltelco.net> dijo:

>The metadata that tells the operating system what's on the drive is
>probably on the first part of the drive. You can probably dd zeros
>onto the first part of the drive and it will scan like a blank drive.
>Note that nvme device naming is weird with "namespaces".
>
>I don't really understand why anyone would intentionally use RAID0 for
>anything. If *either* of the volumes die, your whole array goes poof.
>I also don't actually know anything about Synology other than it's a
>network attached storage appliance. If you want to compose multiple
>drives to look like one, LVM would probably where my mind would drift.

The Synology DS220+ is a mirror for another RAID0 array. Its purpose is
strictly for backup, so if it goes poof, then I just replace the drives
and re-copy from the source.

Back to my original problem, I discovered that apparently the two
drives are really in RAID0, although Synology Assistant has me totally
confused. Under 'Storage Pools' it says that there is a 29.1TB RAID0,
but at the same time it says that 16TB of it has been used. How can that
be? The two drives are brand new and the only thing on them are whatever
nominal overhead Synology Assistant installed.

Personally, I find Synology Assistant hopelessly unintuitive.