On Tue, 27 Apr 2021 22:38:49 -0700
Russell Senior <russ...@personaltelco.net> dijo:

>As an alternative to looking in the sysfs (/sys/class/net) as I
>suggested, you can also install the "ethtool" package and run it with
>the interface name.  E.g.:

OK, at the moment wifi is turned off, so there are just the ethernet
and the VPN listed. I did:

ethtool enx3ce1a1c0dbfc
Settings for enx3ce1a1c0dbfc:
        Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
        Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full
        Supported pause frame use: No
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
        Supported FEC modes: Not reported
        Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
        Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
        Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Advertised FEC modes: Not reported
        Link partner advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                             100baseT/Half
100baseT/Full 1000baseT/Full
        Link partner advertised pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
        Link partner advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Link partner advertised FEC modes: Not reported
        Speed: 100Mb/s
        Duplex: Full
        Port: MII
        PHYAD: 32
        Transceiver: internal
        Auto-negotiation: on
Cannot get wake-on-lan settings: Operation not permitted
        Current message level: 0x00007fff (32767)
                               drv probe link timer ifdown ifup rx_err
tx_err tx_queued intr tx_done rx_status pktdata hw wol Link detected:
yes

The line 'Speed 100Mb/s' looks suspicious, but I didn't understand a
lot of the results above.

Mention has been made of 'training,' but I don't know what that refers
to. At the moment it sounds like the right theory for my problem. Now
I'm off to ask the Duck to explain it to me. :)