On Fri, 31 Dec 2021 08:22:35 -0800 (PST)
Rich Shepard <rshep...@appl-ecosys.com> dijo:

>I've not before used any RAID so please suggest a version and I'll
>search the Web for how to implement it on the Mediasonic's bays 3 and
>4.

Some computers and external drive bays have RAID capability built into
their BIOS, commonly referred to as 'hardware RAID.' The alternative,
'software RAID,' is accomplished with mdadm at the command line.

The mdadm tool has been around for ages and I've personally been using
it for at least ten years. But one of my current RAID setups appears to
have a bug because suddenly it will disappear. Maybe the bug is an
incompatibility with the OS (Xubuntu 20.04). It happens only two or
three times a year, and it fixes itself on rebooting.

I currently have two Synology enclosures and one Mediasonic, each with
two Western Digital spinny disks, and they work flawlessly. The one
with the problem is an enclosure that holds two PCI cards, each of
which has two 8TB nvme drives, with the enclosure connected to the
computer via Thunderbolt 3. All are RAID0 with mdadm.