Just to add a bit of complexity, the number depends on the filesystem
used.  While true for an ext* filesystem that the number reflects the count
of the number of folders within a directory, including the pointers to its
parent and itself ( .. and . ), that may not be true on other filesystems,
e.g. btrfs.

$ mkdir tmp

$ df -hTP tmp/
Filesystem     Type   Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/vdb       btrfs  7.0G  4.7G  1.7G  74% /

$ ls -laid tmp
87645 drwxr-xr-x 1 rwcitek rwcitek 0 Feb  8 13:08 tmp

$ ls -lai tmp
total 0
87645 drwxr-xr-x 1 rwcitek rwcitek 0 Feb  8 13:08 .
87644 drwxr-xr-x 1 rwcitek rwcitek 6 Feb  8 13:08 ..

Regards,
- Robert