Hello all,  need some advice on installing Nvidia driver.

I just got a Dell laptop and plan to use Linux Mint on it.
I saw under "Software Manager" of latest Linux Mint, it has an Nvidia driver
of version x.x.047.   Nvidia website has version x.x.51.
I downloaded the latest from Nvidia.
When trying to run it, it said that I have "X server" running and I need to
quite that before
running installation again.

What is the recommendation?  Should I stick with the latest on Software
Manager?
Or if I am adventurous enough, I do "sudo init 3", install the latest
driver and reboot?

Just want to see what folks have done recently.

thanks

-v