On Mon, Sep 12, 2022, 14:30 John Jason Jordan <joh...@gmx.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Sep 2022 11:54:06 -0400
> Tomas Kuchta <tomas.kuchta.li...@gmail.com> dijo:
>
> >Try creating link with the name to your current tesseract lib file in
> >the lib directory.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion. However, the error message doesn't say where
> it is looking for the lib file:
>
>         vobsub2srt: error while loading shared libraries:
>         libtesseract.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file
>         or directory
>
> A seach on libtesseract* in Catfish gave me:
>
>         /snap/vobsub2srt/34/usr/lib/libtesseract.so.3
>         /snap/vobsub2srt/34/usr/lib/libtesseract.so.3.0.4
>         /snap/vobsub2srt/34/usr/share/doc/libtesseract3
>         /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libtesseract.a
>         /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libtesseract.so
>         /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libtesseract.so.4
>         /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libtesseract.so.4.0.1
>         /usr/share/doc/libtesseract-dev
>         /usr/share/doc/libtesseract4
>         /var/lib/dpkg/info/libtesseract-dev:amd64.list
>         /var/lib/dpkg/info/libtesseract-dev:amd64.md5sums
>         /var/lib/dpkg/info/libtesseract4:amd64.list
>         /var/lib/dpkg/info/libtesseract4:amd64.md5sums
>         /var/lib/dpkg/info/libtesseract4:amd64.shlibs
>         /var/lib/dpkg/info/libtesseract4:amd64.triggers
>
> I begin to see what happened - vobsub2srt was installed with snap,
> which apparently put libtesseract.so.3 in a /snap folder (why??), and
> tesseract doesn't look in there. I have little knowledge of how to
> create links, but I do know how to copy and paste so, guessing that the
> file should be in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu, I copied the file into
> there, and that solved the problem. Except that now I have more things
> that tesseract can't find. Stay tuned. :)

I do not hink you want to copy the lib file from snap to your OS lib dir.
This is because you have no idea how it is compiled.

The issue is your tesseract is snap and vobsub2srt is not. Snap packages
cannot share libraries, that is the point of snaps.

You need to:
a) find snap version of vobsub2srt which includes tesseract libs.
b) find not snap tesseract package.

If your vobsub2srt is snap, do a) else b)

Hope that helps,
Tomas