------- Original Message -------
On Sunday, April 16th, 2023 at 1:35 PM, Rich Shepard <rshep...@appl-ecosys.com>
wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Apr 2023, Ben Koenig wrote:
>
> > "meson build" didn't work?
>

> No:
> $ meson build
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "/usr/bin/meson", line 6, in <module>
>
> from pkg_resources import load_entry_point
> ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'pkg_resources'
>
> Now I'm trying to learn why I can't install pkg_resources using pip with
> python3-3.9.10 installed here:
> # pip install pkg_resources
> bash: /usr/bin/pip: /usr/bin/python3.7: bad interpreter: No such file or
> directory
>
> There is no python3.7 installed:
> [root@salmo /usr/bin]# ls python*
> python@ python2-config@ python2.7-config* python3-sip* pythontex*
> python-config@ python2-sip* python3@ python3.9*
> python2@ python2.7* python3-config@ python3.9-config*
>
> Rich

Ah ok so here is where we got real problems. First off, you don't want to use
pip. it makes it very difficult to remove packages later and can result in a
broken python installation.

Other than that, this type of thing is not unusual on 14.2 since it doesn't
include a full python3 stack. Either you are missing a dependency, or meson
hasn't been properly configured for the correct python version.

You can try starting the build with "meson build -Dpython=python2.7" to make
sure it selects the older python. If that doesn't work you might need to seek
other solutions since dealing with an incomplete python stack is a project all
on it's own.

-Ben