On Mon, Sep 18, 2023 at 11:39 AM John Jason Jordan <joh...@gmx.com> wrote:

> Xubuntu is on a three-year-old 1TB M.2 card and it has worked well for
> years. I think I want to change to Debian, so I downloaded the Xfce
> flavor of the Debian 12 ISO and burned it to a USB drive. Then I went
> out and bought a new 2TB M.2 drive and installed it in the computer in
> a spare, unused slot. I booted to the flash drive and went through the
> installation, specifying the new 2TB drive, creating a 200GB partition
> for / and 1800GB for /home. At the end the installer stopped and said
> it had found the Xubuntu installation, and did I want to create a dual
> boot? I answered 'yes,' and it said that upon booting I would have the
> choice of which OS to boot to. After the installation completed and I
> rebooted it went straight into Xubuntu; no option to boot to Debian,
> like the new drive wasn't even installed. While in Xubuntu I noted that
> the / and /home partitions on Debian had been mounted, so I looked at
> them and all the files appeared to be in the partitions.
>
> The BIOS has a feature where you can choose which disk drive you want
> to boot to; all you have to do is hold down F12 and you will get a
> menu. I did so, and there was the new M.2 drive in the list, so I
> selected it. Unfortunately it did not boot. Instead, a few minutes later
> I was staring at a black screen with a flashing underscore in the upper
> left corner. The keyboard was inactive, and there was no mouse.
>
> I had one more trick up my sleeve - go to the the BIOS directly. In the
> BIOS I swapped the boot order of the drives so the new M.2 drive would
> be first to boot. But when I booted it still wouldn't boot Debian; all I
> got was the same black screen and flashing underscore.
>
> I've been reading up on how to get this to work and I haven't found the
> answer yet. Both drives have a separate partitions for / and /home, and
> each of them has a /boot/grub/grub.cfg file in the / partition. At the
> top of the menu entries, the one in the Debian drive has Debian and
> Debian-Alternative followed by 80 (believe it or not) menu entries for
> Xubuntu. On the Xubuntu drive the file has menu entries only for
> Xubuntu, although only about 20 of them. Methinks some serious tidying
> up is overdue, but that can wait. Maybe a command to update grub is the
> right way to do it.
>
> This would probably be easy to fix, if I only knew how. I'm anxiously
> looking for suggestions so I can look at Debian 12 on the new drive. :)

I had a similar problem after I did an update yesterday. Only one of
my systems was bootable. It turned out there was a line in  the file
/etc/default/grub
like this
GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false
which was commented out with a # in front of it.
Uncommenting it then running update-grub fixed the problem.

This however may not be your problem as there are many things that can
cause this problem.

Bill