This little app is currently running fine on Xubuntu 22.04.3, as it
always has, but the Java versions installed there are somewhat
different. I decided to experiment, and for my fist venture I
uninstalled Oracle JDK 21. Afterwards the error message changed:

        sun.misc.Launcher at userInterface.Start.<clinit>(Start.java:54)

I get the same error message whether I run from the launch script with
its two options or straight from the command line without them.

The only way I know how to tell what versions of Java are installed is
to launch LibreOffice Writer and go to Tools > Options > Advanced,
where it displays the versions of Java that LO found. It now lists
Oracle 8, Oracle 17, and Debian 17, where it used to include Oracle 21
as well. There's probably a faster, simpler way to get a list of
installed Javas from the command line, but I don't know it. For testing
it might also be useful if I could specify which of the installed Javas
the app is supposed to use. As it is, it just picks one based on who
knows what criteria.

In Xubuntu it appears that the installed Javas include JB-Java-jdk8.d.
On that the net leads me to openjdk8, and more links. The TreeForm app
there just runs, and I can't tell what Java it's actually using.

On Sun, 1 Oct 2023 10:32:59 -0700
Michael Ewan <michaelewa...@gmail.com> dijo: