On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 11:03:23AM -0500, Michael Halcrow wrote:

> I bought my wife an R50 a couple months ago.  When it came in the
> mail, I resized her partitions, handed her a copy of Ubuntu, and told
> her to give it a shot.  Half an hour later, she was up and running
> with 3D acceleration, 802.11g, sound, and hibernation all working,
> right out of the box.  Setting up the printer was a matter of browsing
> the local network and selecting the Laserjet that was shared to my
> subnet.  Setting up remote scanning was a matter of adding an IP
> address to the xsane-net backend driver file.  It was like magic.

I recommend the Thinkpads as well. Superb laptops. I have used a T42p for
the past few months at work. The only problem with that specific model is
that it has an ATI card that requires a proprietary driver (fglrx) to get
3D acceleration, and you do that, you lose the ability to suspend-to-ram
or suspend-to-disk.

Without 3D acceleration, Ubuntu works great.

> Admittedly, I had to break out my 1337 h4x0r sk1llz to get MPlayer
> built and running, with all the codecs, along with MPlayer-plugin for
> Firefox, so she could watch movie previews from apple.com/trailers and
> what not.  That's about as complicated as things got.  She's been

I just use Christian Marillat's Debian package repository for mplayer and
other goodies.

-Roberto

--
Do what you will with this tagline, just don't bother me about it!