Dave Smith wrote:
> For those of you who are writing distributed software that does a lot of
> network communication between lots of processes on different hosts
> (traditional distributed system), I have a question for you:
>
> What software are you using to move data and events between the
> components of your software?
>
> Curious to see your answers, and yes, this question is pretty vague on
> purpose. :)

A few years ago, I used Twisted Python to build the networking
components of a basic distributed system (a few dozen nodes).  I wasn't
aware of JSON at the time, so I put pickles on the wire.

Twisted handled network failures amazingly well.  We had machines going
up and down all the time due to a bad choice of server hardware, but the
software kept humming along.  It was fun to watch. :-)

Shane