Dave Smith wrote:
> Has anyone gotten a USB device that requires "Virtual COM Port" support
> to work in Linux? I'm considering employing this relay[1] to perform a
> nightly reboot of my pile-of-junk Comcast cable modem.

Assuming the serial controller on that board is supported by Linux, when
you plug in the device to a computer running a recent distribution,
you'll get a device called /dev/ttyUSB0, which you can use like an
ordinary serial port.

OTOH, you might instead try a modem that is not a pile of junk.  I
bought a Motorola SB6120 a month ago, for use with Comcast, and I've
been quite happy.

Shane