So I enabled Beta in the Package Center and installed 7.9.0-164 from
there. LMS was immediately much more responsive, the difference was like
day and night. However, a full scan still took over 7 hours. One
difference that I noticed though was that on 7.7.6, during the scanning
something was constantly writing to my drives, which didn't strike me an
unusual until i noticed that 7.9.0 didn't do this at all.

On both versions, it seems to me the scanning starts out fine, 1'000
albums per 5-10 minutes, and then after some 3'000 albums it starts to
stall.

I will continue to investigate, meanwhile some questions:

Is v7.9.0-164.1150 a different subversion than the one from the beta
channel and what difference could it make if I manually clean installed
it?

And I have been studying the scanner logs and comparing it to the ones
from the Mac, what would you look for there?

What's really strange to me though, I have no other data and only a few
of the other standard packages on my system. I completely restored the
NAS to factory once and had the exact same issues before and after. So
this leaves only 2 possible culprits notwithstanding hardware issues,
either there is something terribly wrong with the compatibility of my
NAS and this package, or there is something wrong with my files. Perhaps
the Mac somehow messed with the character encoding of my .cue files.