Only (small) issue so far is with synced players, where music simply
doesn't start. I quickly searched through the thread and couldn't find
any solution to that. Is there anything I can provide in order to help
troubleshooting ?

Check server.log (Settings/Information). There's a link to download the full file as a ZIP archive. Upload it here.

Also, I see that the helper program is always started with "--bitrate
96" and wondered if this shouldn't match the configured quality (or if
it is normal to have it always started with this low bitrate).

That's one of the ugly parts of the hack to get Connect working... The daemon would "play" the stream to digital nirvana, LMS launches another helper for the actual playback on SB. As that audio data from the daemon is thrown away anyway, I configured it to use the lowest bitrate.

--

Michael