I would make changes in the advanced tab under group players and despite
hitting apply the changes were not being made.
I just realized maybe it has to do with the LMS not being recently
updated? I'll try that.
For example it would not even let me apply after unchecking "include
disconnected players".

ok I updated LMS and still no love. Seems to hang when I hit apply.

LMS 7.9.1 Windows 10, Airplay Bridge, Shairtunes2, Group Receivers,
Squeezebox Boom, Squeezelite on Desktop, 2 Ihome Spkrs, Yamaha MusicCast
Rcvr, Amazon Fire 4k (Airplay&UPNP App), Upnp/DLNA bridge