PasTim wrote:
> That's a hard choice.  From the posts I've seen LMS 7.7.3 or thereabouts
> still seems quite common - would that need to be updated?  How old is
> iplayer 1.3?  Will 1.6 run on 7.7.3?
>
> There comes a time for all software users when they have to move with
> the times.  I'd suggest 3 years stability is acceptable (others may
> disagree), but after that one should not be surprised when you have to
> move on. (I keep very up to date, but that's my choice).
>
> I guess the alternative is to provide 2 versions, one for older systems
> (with very little or no support for the old one) and one for later ones.
> That's doable with the installation xml files isn't it?

Life is not so simple.

I've tested Extra on 7.7.3 with Perl 5.22 and it worked OK - so I think
1.6 should run as well.  However BBC redirects a lots of http URLS to
https (e.g. for metadata) and AFAICT BBC only support TLS 1.0 as a
minimum - not SSL2 or SSL3.  Also AFAICT the Perl 5.14.2 SSL/TLS
support modules as shipped with 5.14.2 do not support TLS 1.0 only
SSL2/3.  The oldest Perl support that "ships" with 7.7.3 is 5.16.  So
although 1.6 may run with 7.7.3 - it is likely a user who started with a
7.7.3 installation has a version of Perl older than 5.14 and also their
associated Linux distro doesn't have a build later than 5.14.

The xml files have no provision for minimum Perl version.