Actually I am not adjusting volume in Orange Squeeze I am changing it in
the Spotify app. So the volume stays at 100 until I change the volume in
the Spotify app and it then changes to 50 ish. This did not happen with
2.4.x.

I'm pretty certain that's not new in 2.5.x, as this is nothing I touched in that update. IMHO it's just Spotify's behaviour to always default volume back to 50% after a de-connect. I know that this has been topic of discussions in the librespot community (the library Spotty is using). But I can double-check.

--

Michael