Think you might be dissapointed

1) All Rasbian OS are back compatible with previous Hardware ( I have
tried running LMS and Squeezelite on Stretch on a rpi1B with cirruslogic
dac. It did work but was painfully slow. piCorePlayer is much better in
this instance imho.

2) Raspbian people advise a fresh install of Buster (I have it running
on a rpi3B, without problem).

Over on the raspberry pi forum some folk say that it is possible to
update a Stretch OS and then edit two files (I'm not going to search out
which ones) and replace the word Sretch with Buster, wherever it occurs.
Apparently, this worked for some, going from Jessie to Stretch but is
not recommended, or guaranteed to work.