The only way I was able to get things back to normal was by restarting
LMS via the Synology package center, going into LMS and pressing cancel
scan as soon as it resumed. I was then able to disable the online music
plugin to prevent the never ending Spotify Scan and complete
successfully for local music only.

Would have been helpful to understand what was going on if you had kept a copy of the scanner.log when it was stalling. Or if you had asked what to do instead of just reporting "it failed". Because this way I won't be able to fix anything.

Do you at least remember at which stage it was stuck?

--

Michael