I might be closer to a reason:

The new system has Pulse Audio installed by default, but I have the
non-pulse version of squeezelite installed.

PCM plays back fine, but it is possible that PA is getting in the way
when it comes to DSD.

I have only used PA in desktop systems where I just pick the device from
the GUI and forget about it. All other systems have been plain ALSA, so
it looks like I now have the choice of removing PA and figuring out any
dependency breakings (my preferred approach as it would almost certainly
be cleaner and leaner, or installing squeezelite-pa and trying to work
it out from there.

Any experience regarding the best approach?

BR.