rfunk wrote:
> Ever since upgrading my bedroom Squeezebox Radio to this firmware, my
> 6am alarm starting an internet radio stream has sounded really bad. It's
> hard to describe, but it's rough and quiet, almost like maybe it's only
> playing half of each sample.
I played out your station last night on one of my Radios (saved as a
favourite). While it worked I did note difficulties with connecting.

So I set the station as an alarm both on an "old" firmware and a "new"
firmware Radio, to go off this morning.

The "old" firmware was unable to connect, and played out the fall-back
alarm track instead. Apparently it only allows 25 seconds before
deciding that a station is "bad", and playing out the fall-back alarm.

The "new" firmware did connect, and played out fine for a few minutes.
It apparently allows 60 seconds before deciding that a station is bad,
so perhaps the extra time allowed it to successfully connect. After a
few minutes the remote station must have given up, because the Radio
switched to the fall-back alarm. I was not aware of any roughness in the
sound quality while it was playing.

So, based on my very limited trial, I would say your radio station is
unreliable, at least at present. If it has been consistently unreliable
in the past, I would expect you to have been regularly subjected to the
"fall-back" alarm, instead of the station. Has that been your experience
?

As regards the roughness of the sound that you heard, it is possible
that this is a by-product of the combination of an unreliable stream and
a change made to mitigate the effects of "bass drop out". Refer this
post for a description:
https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?104141-Bass-amp-problem&p=981578&viewfull=1#post981578

> There is a small downside, in that any time that an under-run would have
> otherwise occurred, we will get a small, audible, click in the playback.
> I haven't particularly become aware of this in "real use".
It's quite possible that an unreliable server is causing a number of
micro "under-runs" in the audio, leading to the effect you describe. I
don't know, though, because I haven't personally encountered the issue
in a year or so of using the modified firmware.

Perhaps the mitigation should be made a "switchable" option in the next
release. My experience suggests that "on" should be the default. I'll
give it some thought and, perhaps, make a proposal.