slartibartfast wrote:
> OK I didn't know they handled the streams differently.

The BBCIplayer plugin handles live radio as infinite stream but which
you could rewind up to 3hrs and so on say R4 could go back across a
number of programmes.  Since the introduction of HLS and DASH The BBC
evolved the metadata about programmes and rewind capability.  BBCiPlayer
plugin didn't change the underlying live stream mechanism from FLash and
AAC which were just infinite streams and no rewind.

BBC Sounds handles live radio programmes as a series of tracks of known
duration but I think you can only rewind to start of current programme.