Ok, I've come to conclusion, as Paul alluded to, the solution is
probably not to make it too flexible.
So I'm going to support multiple accounts.   If more than one account is
added, then in settings, which player is associated with which account
can be selected.
But a user has to go into settings to change it.  There is not going to
be a menu item to easily switch.

That way, users know a particular player is (usually) always associated
with a particular account.

They will just have to live with the odd behaviour that if they browse
on one player into "My sounds" with their controller, then switch
player, then play the item, then :  The item played will be recorded
against a different account from the "My sounds" that the browsed to get
their, if you get what I mean.

Someone is going to have to write a "LMS User Account plugin" that
streaming services plugins can supply context to (and get context from)
and controllers can utilise in a generic way to give a better
experience. That way an individual playable item can be associated with
an account rather than a whole player.    Anyone want to volunteer to
write it ?? :):D:)

EXPECTINGTOFLY PLUGINS :

- *BBC Sounds* :
  https://github.com/expectingtofly/LMS_BBC_Sounds_Plugin