philippe_44 wrote:
> It depends where you want things to happen. One solution could be to let
> the bridge always re-encode everything to flac and there you can tell it
> what bit depth you want. Another option is to remove flac from supported
> bridge's codecs and then tell that PCM should be truncated to 16 bits by
> the bridge. Unfortunately, LMS is unaware of what bit depth players
> support, so it cannot do much there

I've also been struggling with this recently.

I'm a little confused by the interface, tbh.

Are you saying that the option to truncate to 16 bit is only ever going
to be used if the option for transcoding (always) is set?
I'd originally assumed that if the truncate option is set, it will
always convert 24 bit to 16 bit, but perhaps it's only ever for
transcoding?

If it's to always truncate 24 bit to 16 bit, perhaps it should be on a
separate line or something in the interface?

And if on the other hand you can't selectively hide the option for
truncating (i.e. only display it if transcoding is enabled), perhaps it
could somehow make that clearer? I could understand that it would be
complicated because of the way the default settings are used if it's not
overridden by the default profile.

Thanks