I am actually finding using Spotify Connect is much more responsive than
using Spotty on LMS at the moment. That can't be right.

It can: the native app likely doesn't use the same APIs as the public web API. They've always had features which are not exposed publicly. So if there's a problem in the infrastructure we're using (or in the communication channel between your system and those servers), then the native app would behave differently. Or if something about LMS was wrong (eg. problems writing to the cache) then you wouldn't see this in the Spotify app.