If I include a custom font in my plugin that includes this character (I
really only need this 1 character) is it possible to display this
character on jivelite *without* installing a new font? Or was that only
a thing with the older Logitech devices (line display)?

Correct, the custom fonts as included in this plugin are for the old ip3k based players (Boom, Classic, Transporter) only. The newer models with color displays would need a different font installed on the device itself. Custom fonts can be done their, but they must be done as applets, rather than a plugin. I believe there's one in the current list of add-ons for the devices, if you need inspiration.

Ralphy thinks it's not possible without installing a new font. What's
your take on this?

You can trust him when it comes to questions about Squeezeplay/JiveLite.