oshcar wrote:
> does padding with zeroes increase dynamic range ?
>
> 16 bit to 32 bit to 24 bit
>
> doesnt 16bit to 24bit seem cleaner ? -- does it matter -- i dont know --
> i just want to try it to see if it makes a difference to my ears. or
> maybe just knowing that one step is removed will make it sound better to
> me. who cares. it will sound better to me.
>
> Changing a "32" to a "24" somewhere in the code cant be that difficult
> correct ? -- if it crashes on me then it crashes. no big deal.

Padding 16 to 32 bits, if the source is 16 bits does not change dynamic.

Now, there is a real benefit to use 32 bits integers as the internal
representation when you chain calculations as you need a precision that
using 16 bits interim results loses. If you take flac as an example, it
always returns 32 bits samples. If you’re want to store decoded flac in
16 bits arrays, you need a truncation loop.

In addition, using 24 bits is a real problem for cpu. Integers are 8,
16, 32 or 64 bits but there is no such a thing as 24 bits representation
and trying to “fake” one can complicate implementation a real lot. Hence
we use 32 bits and truncate them to 24 bits at the very last stage.

LMS 8.2 on Odroid-C4 - *SqueezeAMP!*, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch,
1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW,
2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi,  Yamaha
WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3