Jaca, that's interesting.

Now I see that I can indeed add folders to Spotify's Playlists!

In the official Spotify app on my desktop Mac, if I right-click on an
existing Playlist in the sidebar on the left, there's an option to
Create Folder, which I'd completely missed. It's easy from there to make
folders and sub-folders and organise stuff in a way that (for my
purposes, at least) is much more efficient. Good!

I can then see the new folders I've made in LMS in a browser UI on the
same desktop, rather more usefully in Material than the regular skin.
But neither seems to allow me to make new folders. And in iPeng on my
iPhone, again any new folders made on the Spotify app are now visible
but there's no obvious way (to me) to make new ones there.

Sorry if this is a touch off-topic here. Later, when/if the dust settles
on the Spotify debate, I'll maybe make a new thread about the folder
business.