With Spotify though, a Volume Up command from Spotify ends up in the
classic sending (via IR Blaster) a volume DOWN infrared command.

Given there's a few moving parts here, I'm unsure what may be causing
the strange behaviour, but feel it's something that's not handling the
fixed 100% volume setting on the classic correctly.

I'm sorry to say that it's unlikely this is ever going to work... syncing volume between Spotify and LMS has proved to be difficult already. And as it's based on absolute values (Spotify would give us a value, not up/down events), this can hardly translate into what IR Blaster requires.