the only place I see my own custom screens are within the "custom clock
helper" advanced settings on LMS Settings (via web) - I can't see these
screens on the player at all.
Now... the earlier versions of custom clock applet required license
manager, which in turn required access to mysqueezebox... so I wasn't
quite sure if I needed mysqueezebox to be available or not.

Nevertheless, I've made the exercise of installing a second LMS server
onto which I managed to correctly connect to mysqueezebox, and when I
connect the player to the new one, the behaviour is exactly the same.
The only difference I can see between last it worked and the new setup,
is LMS 8.3 instead of LMS 7.9

I wonder what I am missing in the setup.