I just tested this with a clean install of the container.  The uid/gid
for my user is 1001 and I created /data/docker-compose/musicip/music and
/data/docker-compose/musicip/config as this user.  Docker compose file
includes

environment:
- PUID=1001
- PGID=1001
volumes:
- /data/docker-compose/musicip/music:/music
- /data/docker-compose/musicip/config:/config

I put some flac files in the music directory and started the container
with docker-compose.  Accessed via a browser and added music from
/music.  The files already had fingerprint tags, were added as expected,
and a default.m3lib file was created in the config directory.

Show Songs button in the GUI returns expected results and these are
retained after a docker-compose down / docker-compose up -d cycle

/music/01-I'm_Not_In_Love.flac
/music/01-Wall_Street_Shuffle.flac
/music/02-The_Power_Of_Love.flac

Permissions/ownership of the config volume would seem to be the most
likely cause of what you're seeing.