2.1.6.1 works fine with the DSOTM track 1 and 2. No gap. Thank you for
the hard work!
Don't dare to upgrade to 2.1.7 if I can't revert to 2.1.6.1, though.

(And to my defense for being grumpy: I actually posted about the problem
already on Friday/Saturday, together with log snippets etc. A short
message like "don't use the automatic update as I will send out several
updates to solve another problem" would have been enough to revert back
to the version that worked on my setup. On Sunday I had a monumental
hangover and couldn't do more than lie on the sofa and listen to music.
;)
*So, sorry for being grumpy*, but this was the first time in 15 years
updates of a plugin caused any hickups. Wiser from earlier experiences,
I turned off LMS updates a long time ago.)
As to the hard voluntary work made by the developers I suggested many
years ago to make some kind of "fund" on paypal? for the most active
developers where we can send donations to show our appreciation.