Just did a test on vmware (emulating my setup at home, 1Gb HDD acting
like my compactflash freenas drive drive at home, secondary virtual
hard disk representing my regular data hard disk) with slimnas 0.99 and
script from Michael's website with Freenas 0.686.3 using the nightly
build below:

SqueezeCenter_7.1_trunk_v2008-03-31

I went trhough the normal process and initially I had same problem as
before "squeezecenter has failed...".  Unchecking enable > checking it
again and clicking save resulted in a working slimnas.

Also tested with slimsqueeze and it worked.

--
zoolap