It's a fairly old version of mplayer.

Typing mplayer into Terminal returns the version

MPlayer dev-SVN-r21482-4.0.1 (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team

But it was certainly working until a few days ago. If it continues not
to work I can move to a newer mplayer in case the BBC has changed
something.

I don't see that why it would be mplayer.sh, since that hasn't
changed.

I remember a past issue with orphan mplayer processes, but I've checked
and there aren't any copies of mplayer running after the file has
refused to play.

It could be a network problem, and that's the most likely thing to have
changed without my knowledge. But I have no idea what, unless my ISP
isn't accepting .ra files at the moment.

By the way, the message on my Squeezebox gets to Now Playing
(Connecting) but that vanishes quickly and nothing gets played.

--
danco