> One minor thing: If there's no CD in the drive I now get "CD tray is
> open" instead of "No CD in drive" (as before) - I have a slot-in drive
> which almost certainly is NOT open...

I checked the code and there is no difference in this area between 1.6
and 1.7.  I also tested 1.7 on my Ubuntu 8.04 and got the correct
messages on the WebUI on a normal CDROM drive has a tray.

The error message is derived from the status code returned by the cdrom
driver via an IOCTL call - I include the status code at the end of the
generated message in parentheses.  What is the code value on your error
message ?

Just in case Which user interface are you seeing this error message ?

Is the message the same on Squeezeplay/Controller as well as webUI (and
SB player display if you have an SB) ?

--
bpa