Hmm, having restarted the server and got the "You must restart the server to
apply changes" and seeing that my plugins I had just selected for install were
still listed as plugins available for installation, I assumed it wasn't going
to work and reinstalled them manually.

Then upon restart, I saw that SbS did then install a couple of the plugins that
I had selected for installation, but then got another "You must restart the
server to apply changes".  So I did, and then another plugin got installed.

However, I had by this point installed them manually, so ED shouldn't have
installed them again?

Does ED not install all of them in one go, or is it that there are dependencies
between some plugins that it can only install some and then a reboot is needed
for the others?