GoCubs;506698 Wrote:
> From what I've heard they do offer an official API, but it comes with
> restrictions and the data feed isn't updated as often as their website.

They *do* offer an XML feed, as do the other weather type sites
(weather channel, yahoo weather, etc).

http://wiki.wunderground.com/index.php/API_-_XML#ForecastXML

for example:

http://api.wunderground.com/auto/wui/geo/ForecastXML/index.xml?query=03057

The forecast info appears to be exactly the same text on their web
site.

I honestly can't make heads or tails out of their API restrictions
(they just don't make any sense to me given the data they're supplying
is XML).  And I don't program in Perl, so I have no idea how hard this
would be to parse.

But it's GOT to be easier than screen-scraping, no??  I HAD a free
program that was widely used within a specialized community that did
screen scraping, and it was a constant hassle to keep updated.  The
code's not even any fun to write.  I finally gave up and opted for an
XML-based method.

Peter

--
PeterGV