I had thought about making Softsqueeze truly headless but then it would
overlap with squeezeslave and so didn't see the point.

SOftsqueeze can play 44.1 and 48kHz streams as this is supported by the
Javasound libraries.  I think because Softsqueeze can also emulate
Transporter from a display point of view - other bitrates (e.g. 24/96)
will be sent to Softsqueeze unchanged but these cannot be played by
Javasound and so don't play.

Squeezeslave used to have a limitation of 16/44.1 but it may have
changed as there is active development.

AFAIK the SBS can be setup to resample audio for classes of player.  I
think this has been done for Squeezeslave - you should search the forum.

--
bpa