Update for above:

After upgrading to 7.6 I had to re-apply above changes but they didn't
seem to take.  In the end I renamed the stringscache file and restarted
the server.  Although a new stringscache file wasn't created
automatically, this did fix the strings issue for the plugin.  Hoever
it must be picking up another strings.txt file from somewhere else
because the string entries, in the plugin settings screen, aren't the
same as the ones I've changed in
/var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/InstalledPlugins/Plugins/xAP/strings.txt.

Nevertheless the plugin seems to work OK in 7.6.*

--
BodgeIT