Yes, after disabling the 3rd party plug-in the offical plug-in works
fine on individual players and synced.

I then enabled the 3rd party plug-in again.  This had the "Always stream
through helper" unchecked and could play to individual players without a
problem.  When trying to play to syned players both players showed the
tracked details but with "Connecting...".  No music was played.

I then checked the "Always stream through helper" box.  This stopped the
3rd party plug-in from playing music on individual players as well as
synced.  I'm just left with the "Connecting..." message.

Looking at the helper log it has no entries in the last 45 min, since
I've been running the tests.

Interestingly, the 3rd party plug-in settings page (at the very bottom)
displays "Helper App: Running" but when pressing the self test button it
displays "Help App is not running - please check why" after a few
seconds.