tuc wrote:
> Any ideas of other quirks to try?
Difficult question IMHO.
A few things I would check right after wake-up :
- system time. If the clock is off then plenty of things can go wrong.
- system load. Perhaps the system is too busy for LMS to run well.
- network status and interface parameters. Perhaps the machine renews
its DHCP lease or renegociates link parameters with the switch.
- possibly hard drives/data links parameters.

I've seen all this go wrong (and much more) when suspending linux
machines. Trying all suspend quirks can't really harm. Also, I don't
know how the PM system you're using works, but what I do personally is
to stop services, unload kernel modulesÂ… as needed before sleep, and
restart these upon wake-up. A friendly machine (and kernel) won't need
anything special; temperamental ones can do really funny things until
you've found the exact issue and solve it at sleep time.

My debugging method is about this :
- unplug anything unnecessary from the machine, including networking.
Keep only keyboard/console.
- check the bios is reasonably recent (beware of a 1.0 version), set to
reasonable parameters, that the cmos battery is not depleted (can cause
time/date issues.)
- try suspend with my system running a minimal set of services
(something like single mode, with ACPI active). It should work (perform
normally).
- if it does not work, look for people with similar problems and the
same hardware. Try a newer/older version of linux. Kernel versions do
matter, unfortunately.
- if it does work, check it works repeatedly, and not a single time.
Also, check the machine does reboot and shutdown correctly after
sleep/wake cyclesÂ…
- then gradually add the hardware/drivers apps you want to run and see
when it starts to break.

As already said, on some setups I've had to proceed to quite a few
seemingly futile stop/starts. However, I have yet to see the need to
restart LMS.