On Sat, Jan 03, 2015 at 01:25:49PM +0000, Snyder wrote:
>MalcolmBarr wrote:
>> I would dearly love to have the ability to stream audio direct from my
>> Ipad to squeezebox (I have three duets and a classic). I am particularly
>> interested in being able to stream the audio from Google Play from the
>> Ipad - I think I am right in thinking that once the Ipad sees an airplay
>> compatible receiver on the network, you can route the output from any
>> app to that. Please tell me if that is wrong!

IMHO that is right.

>> I am running LMS 7.8 on a QNAP TS-869L, and am very unfamiliar with
>> Linux. Would it be possible for someone to write a step by step on how
>> to install this plug-in which could be followed even by utter Linux
>> noobs like me?

I can try to write a step by step howto and I managed to get the plugin
running on my linux system with LMS, but this is a normal linux and no
Qnap with limmited possebilities of available packages, e.g. You have to
install some aditional perl modules for example to get the shairtunes
plugin running, I don't know if it is possible to install these perl
modules via a packaging system or cpan. Also the avahi configuration has
to be modified, no plan if this can be done on the Qnaps without side
effects to the rest of the system.

>> at the first hurdle. When I try and add the repo linked to by StuartUSA
>> in post 17 of this thread to LMS, I get the following error message:
>>
>> "Bad repository
>> http://raw2.github.com/StuartUSA/shairport_plugin/master/public.xml -
>> Redirection limit exceeded" - can anyone help me with that?

I had the same error and for that reason I've installed the plugin
manualy. This can be done by coping the downloaded and unpacked plugin
directory in to /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/Plugins. Then the file
permissions has to be corected and after that the plugin can be enabled
via the LMS web interface.

>> If I can get to the point where the plug-in is installed, I understand
>> that I then need to "compile the helper app, on Linux". To do that, I
>> need to SSH into the Qnap box linux interface and then simply type the
>> commands as shown at the bottom of
>> https://github.com/StuartUSA/shairport_plugin. Please tell me if this is
>> wrong.

If no of the pre-compiled binaries are running on your Qnap, you are not
wrong and you really have to compile the shairtunes_helper binary. And
that ist the next problem with the Qnaps..., you need an environment to
compile binaries, no plan if the packages needed for this environment
can be installed or how I can get such an environment.

As said, I can try to write a step to step howto for the installation on
a normal linux system, but to know how the plugin can be installed on a
Qnap I need to have ssh access and root priveleges to such an device and
also then installation can be different depending on the system
architecture....

Regards from Munich,

  Christian

--