I just had a reply to my complaint to the BBC, as below.  It basically
says 'Go away - we are ignoring you'.

-
Thank you for contacting the BBC iPlayer support team.

I understand you are no longer able to listen to BBC Radio streams on
your internet radio.

We have changed the way we stream radio so we'll no longer be providing
Window Media Audio and AAC audio streams.

We thought long and hard before deciding on the direction for Audio
Factory. The system replaces, not just the online streaming systems for
national radio, but also the systems for the nations and local radio. As
such we had to make choices around standardisation.

We have decided to use the http streaming formats HLS, HDS and DASH. We
began communicating our plans to internet radio manufacturers over 12
months ago. HLS streams are now available to internet radios and
aggregators that wish to use them. We have been working with various
manufacturers to help them develop their products where possible to
support our new streams. We are actively working on delivering our audio
using the non-proprietary DASH delivery format to support other
manufacturers and their devices going forward.

The Shoutcast AAC streams we provided for network radio only, relied on
very old hardware and unsupported software. They had a very high support
overhead. We have kept a single Shoutcast stream of every live service
to support devices that will never be able to play HLS, HDS or DASH
streams. Whist we cannot promise to support Shoutcast for more than 1 to
2 years, we will monitor the number of users and the quality of our
service and base our decision making on the impact to the audience.

We hope that manufacturers and developers will be able to support our
new streams or upgrade existing devices as time goes on, and we will do
our best to support them as the technology continues to evolve.

We've published a new blog that addresses some of these points and is
also worth reading:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/internet/entries/977a1954-658f-4fb2-a23c-71680c49882f

Flash was chosen for playback on bbc.co.uk in our embedded media player
for several reasons.

Reach – Flash was the most effective way of delivering a high quality
experience to the broadest possible audience. It provided DRM to enable
us to negotiate rights for distributing programmes online and allowed us
to affordably deliver an adaptive bitrate solution and live simulcasts
of our TV channels.

You can read more about Flash, open standards and the BBC in the
following blog.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/legacy/bbcinternet/2010/08/html5_open_standards_and_the_b.html

However, as Cathy Bartlett states in her blog below, we are looking to
move a single player across platforms and devices. We’ll be continuing
to exploit modern ways of embedding and playing media in web pages,
researching new streaming formats such as MPEG-DASH, as we move towards
using a single player across platforms and devices.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/internet/entries/7185ad76-d3de-3df6-8641-975feed88091

So while Flash is commonly used now, we are looking into how best to
deliver media going forward.

However please be assured that your feedback has also been included on
reports that are available to the personnel responsible for maintaining
and improving the BBC iPlayer service, including Dan Taylor Watt, the
Head of BBC iPlayer.

These reports are viewed as important documents that can help shape
decisions on future aspects of BBC iPlayer, the scope of the service in
terms of its availability and content.

Thanks again for contacting us.

Kind regards

Helen McCrickerd

BBC Audience Services

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer
-

LMS 7.9 on VortexBox Midi, Xubuntu 14.04, FLACs 16->24 bit,
44.1->192kbps. LMS & Squeeze2upnp (Beta - derived from squeezelite) to
Musical Fidelity M1 CLiC and Marantz CR603 UPnP renderers.  Squeezelite
to PC sound.  Minimserver (server) and upplay (control point) to same
amps & to upmpdcli/mpd PC renderers.  Meridian USB Explorer DAC from PCs
to speakers/headphones.  Wireless Xubuntu 14.04 laptop controls
LMS/upplay via Firefox.   Have a Touch with EDO, and a spare, but don't
use.