Thanks for getting back to me... I've checked the Wifi settings, and it
should be on all the time - on both the S3 and the Nexus. What I've
noticed is that "infinite" (or indeed any other number for that matter)
shows the same behaviour in the debug log:

UNABLE TO CONNECT TO SERVER XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
JAVA.NET.SOCKETTIMEOUTEXCEPTION FAILED TO CONNECT...
XXX.XXX.XXX.XX (PORT 3483)
RECONNECTING...

It then repeats this 6 times before logging:

BUFFERS FLUSHED.

Even if I have Max Retries set to 1, it still appears to try 6 times
before giving up.

If I'm watching the main screen of the app, it shows "Cancel Connect"
and the reconnecting messages, and during this time all the Server
settings are greyed out. After the 6th failed attempt "Cancel Connect"
changes to "Connect" and the cursor goes back to the "Current Server"
name where it flashes awaiting input.

I've also since tried the app on my Xperia Z3C, and see exactly the same
behaviour there.