Is it true that stamp_inserted and stamp_updated don't get touched unless
sql_history and sql_history_roundoff are also set?  If so, when did this
change?

I was running 0.7.4 for a while and I didn't have these set, recently I
upgraded and have found data missing.  I'm a bit surprised that this might
be the cause, though the documentation in CONFIG-KEYS leads me to believe
this is the case... also I wonder what the pmacctd processes might have done
when trying to write NULL data to a NOT NULL column in the database (namely,
stamp_inserted).