Hi,

i'm just testing pmacct on OpenBSD 3.7. First I used MySQL as data
backend. Even after several days of capturing into the same table I had no
performance problems. But since the MySQL backend uses a string for
"ip_proto" and has no IP address type I decided to switch to PostgreSQL.

But now I have massive performance problems. After one day, when there are
 500 000 to 700 000 rows in the table, it's getting so slow, that it
cannot store the data fast enough any more, resulting in a lot of
processes like

22758 ??  I       0:00.00 pmacctd: PostgreSQL Plugin -- DB Writer
[default] (pmacctd)

and

20427 ??  I       0:00.03 postmaster: pmacct pmacct [local] LOCK TABLE
waiting (postgres)

Is there a tuning problem, or is PostgreSQL known to be not as fast as
MySQL? I thought, maybe there are some kind of rollback journals written,
which MySQL doesn't, or the hash-tables are not indexed correctly? Any ideas?

Cheers,

Sven

--
Sven Anderson