Hi -
I have pmacct 1.7.0 installed from source on an Ubuntu 17.10 system running
MySQL 5.7. Just experimenting so far. I have specified both sql_user and
sql_passwd (and sql_table and sql_db) in the conf file, run the
initialization sql successfully, and started pmacctd like this:

/home/nick/src/pmacct-1.7.0# /usr/local/sbin/pmacctd -d -P mysql -f
/home/nick/src/pmacct.conf 192.168.50.211

No matter what I do, pmacctd cannot connect to the database:

ERROR ( default_mysql/mysql ): PRIMARY 'mysql' backend trouble.
ERROR ( default_mysql/mysql ): The SQL server says: Access denied for user
'pmacct'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

Despite this, I can successfully connect using the very same password which
is defined in the pmacct.conf file if I type it by hand:
"nick@nick-OptiPlex-755:~$ mysql -u pmacct -p
Enter password:
Your MySQL connection id is 163
Server version: 5.7.20-0ubuntu0.17.10.1 (Ubuntu)

Copyright (c) 2000, 2017, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.

Oracle is a registered trademark of Oracle Corporation and/or its"
...and so on, clipped.

There is no difference if I enclose the conf file's sql_passwd argument in
quotes or not.
What is my issue here? Thanks.....Nick