> current GPL license to a more liberal BSD-style license.

> 1) Faced with our own mortality, it became clear that succession
>    planning is of paramount importance for this project's continued
>    success. We contemplated what happens in context of intellectual
>    property rights should one of pmacct's contributors pass away, and
>    realized potential heirs won't necessarily desire involvement in this
>    open source project, potentially hampering changes to intellectual
>    property policies in the project's future.
>
> 2) We suspect there are entities who violate the terms of pmacct's
>    current GPL license, but at the same time we don't wish to litigate.
>    Instead of getting infringers to change their behavior, relicensing
>    the project could be another way to resolve the potential for
>    conflict: we see benefits to removing rules we don't plan on
>    enforcing anyway.

On Wed, 8 Jan 2020 16:02:35 +0200
Lennert Buytenhek <buyt...@wantstofly.org> wrote:

> Although the stated reasoning
> for the relicensing effort feels somewhat specious to me,

I agree.  (Disclaimer: I'm not a contributor.)

1) If we wanted to change the licensing, we couldn't, after we're
dead.

2) People are violating our rights and we don't want to do
anything about it.

I don't want to argue one way or another but it would be nice
to have a real reason.  There are good reasons available,
all the way down to "I wrote most of it and I changed my mind."

Even if there's some commercial entity that wants to sell
pmacct in their product and won't because of the licensing,
it would be nice to know this.  Especially knowing who.
(E.g. We know that Amazon uses PostgreSQL as the basis
of their RDS database product, and does not contribute
back as far as I can tell.)  It'd be nice to know who
the contributors are helping.

Regards,

Karl <k...@karlpinc.com>
                 -- Robert A. Heinlein