doesn't work with raster layers since the respective Mapscript function
does not return anything for them. For Postgis layers neither, but there
it's at least possible querying Postgis directly and get the layer extent.

It would be possible to implement something for raster layers without
too much of effort, reading the extent from a manually defined metadata
tag in the map file. But I have doubts the "zoom to layer" is a
functionality frequently used.

armin