http://pnews.org/ - http://up-yours.us
 Progressive (Post-Liberal) News & Views (since 1982)
 Neither Left nor Right - Seeking Truth and Justice

     Israeli Peace Groups

About PJSN
Current Events
Issues
News
Why Peace
Resources
Congregations
Adults
Children
Parents
Youth
Military Personnel
Fun Activities
Clipart & Posters
Peace Products
Resources to Order
Annotated List
Photo Gallery
Newsletters
Phone Call-In
Advocacy
Calendar
Legacy of Hope
Links
Printer Friendly Version
subscribe to our FREE monthly e-mail magazine.

Translate this
page into:
 Spanish French German Italian Portuguese
FreeTranslation.com
  Links to Israeli Peace Groups
>From Alain Epp Weaver, MCC's peace development
worker-when he isn't living under curfew in Bethlehem.

This fall saw the release of a remarkable collection
of essays, edited by Roane Carey and Jonathan Shainin,
entitled The Other Israel (New York: The New Press,
2002). The volume brings together essays by over 20
Israeli journalists, academics and peace activists who
collectively make up a portrait of an "Other Israel,"
one which believes that peace and Israeli security
will be built upon foundations of justice instead of
imposed by tanks, bulldozers and machine guns. Some of
Mennonite Central Committee's partners, such as the
Palestinian Center for Rapprochement between Peoples,
the Wi'am Center for Conflict Resolution, and the
Badil Resource Center for Refugee and Residency
Rights, work on specific projects (olive harvesting,
conflict resolution workshops, a Hebrew-language
packet on the rights of Palestinian refugees) with
some of these "Other Israelis." Part of the job
description of MCC's peace development worker-when he
isn't living under curfew in Bethlehem-is to cultivate
contacts with this "Other Israel."

Below you will find links to the websites of some of
the Israeli peace groups who make up the "Other
Israel," along with short descriptions of the groups,
most of which are taken from their websites. Together,
these organizations provide a timely reminder that
there are not simply "two sides," Israelis and
Palestinians, but that there are Israelis who join
with Palestinians in working for a future of
reconciliation and peace built on a foundation of
justice.

Rabbis for Human Rights: http://www.rhr.israel.net

"RHR was founded in 1998, in response to serious
abuses by the Israeli military authorities in the
suppression of the intifada. The indifference of much
of the country religious leadership and religiously
identified citizenry to the suffering of innocent
people seen as the enemy was a cause of concern to
RHR's organizers."

Gush Shalom: http://www.gush-shalom.org/english

Gush Shalom calls for Israeli withdrawal from the
occupied territories and for Jerusalem to be the
shared capital of the State of Israel and a future
Palestinian state.

Israeli Committee Against House Demolitions:
http://www.icahd.org

"ICAHD is a non-violent, direct-action group
originally established to oppose and resist Israeli
demolition of Palestinian houses in the Occupied
Territories. As our activists gained direct knowledge
of the brutalities of the Occupation, we expanded our
resistance activities to other areas - land
expropriation, settlement expansion, by-pass road
construction, policies of "closure" and "separation,"
the wholesale uprooting of fruit and olive trees and
more. The fierce repression of Palestinian efforts to
"shake off" the Occupation following the latest
Intifada has only added urgency to our efforts. As a
direct-action group, ICAHD is comprised of members of
many Israeli peace and human rights organizations. All
of our work in the Occupied Territories is closely
co-ordinated with local Palestinian organizations."

Yesh Gvul: http://www.yesh-gvul.org/english.html

Yesh Gvul (Hebrew for "There is a Limit!") "is an
Israeli peace group that has shouldered the task of
supporting soldiers who refuse assignments of a
repressive or aggressive nature. The brutal role of
the Israel Defense Force (IDF) in subjugating the
Palestinian population places numerous servicemen in a
grave moral and political dilemma, as they are
required to enforce policies they deem illegal and
immoral. The army demands compliance, but many
soldiers, whether conscripts or reservists, find that
they cannot in good conscience obey the orders of
their superiors."

New Profile: http://www.newprofile.org/english

We, Israeli women - Jewish and Palestinian - oppose
the occupation of the Palestinian people and refuse to
take part in any of its destructive aspects. We refuse
to live as enemies We refuse to fulfil the roles that
women are expected to fulfil during wartime We refuse
to pay the economic and social price of the occupation
We refuse to be ignorant and to succumb to terrorizing
and silencing We refuse to raise children to war,
poverty and opression We refuse to remain silent A
collective refusal of women can change reality. A
feminine refusal means an alternative voice and a
language opposed to the language of power.

Ta'ayush: http://www.taayush.org

Ta'ayush means "coexistence" in Arabic. The
Jewish-Israeli and Palestinian-Israeli members of
Ta'ayush live out coexistence as they join to help
Palestinian farmers harassed by Israeli settlers
harvest their olives or make solidarity and relief
visits to Palestinian Bedouin in the Hebron hills
threatened with eviction by Israeli settlers and the
military.

Bat Shalom: http://www.batshalom.org

"Bat Shalom is a feminist peace organization of
Israeli women. We work toward a just peace between
Israel and its Arab neighbors that includes
recognition of a Palestinian state side-by-side with
Israel and Jerusalem as the capital of both. Within
Israel, Bat Shalom works toward a more just and
democratic society shaped equally by men and women."

The Alternative Information Center:
http://www.alternativenews.org

"The AIC is a Palestinian-Israeli organization which
disseminates information, research and political
analysis on Palestinian and Israeli societies as well
as the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, while promoting
cooperation between Palestinians and Israelis based on
the values of social justice, solidarity and community
involvement."

pnews-news - (NEWS) - Send "subscribe" or "unsub"
in subject to pnews-news-request(at)inyourface.info
pnews-views - (VIEWS) - Send "subscribe" or "unsubscribe"
as subject to pnews-views-request(at)inyourface.info
Everything begins at The Worm Hole: http://up-yours.us/

Don't Miss This: http://tinyurl.com/m2uah
NEVER pay for a podcast again:
Check this out - http://tinyurl.com/mnr7r